Blah blah blah

The mindless ramblings of a woman on the edge..... of something.....

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

On the road again.


I was trying to explain to a friend of mine why I'm finding it to be a difficult transition from walking to running particularly on the roads where I live. The surrounding area is not flat needless to say although the views when out for a walk are magnificent. The road is also extremely narrow - one small car at a time. My description: this road was obviously once a cow path that someone decided to pave! I'll let you judge for yourself.



It's also very open to the elements, which frequently change. The person who came up with the descriptive meteorological phrase for New England - 'If you don't like the weather, wait a half hour.' - had obviously never spent more than 10 minutes in Ireland. I'm sure the similarity in weather patterns is the reason for Irish immigrants clustering along the east coast of America!

Enough of my rambling - I have, therefore (due to the weather and general condition of the Irish roads) decided to purchase an indoor machine on which to 'run'. I am, however, torn between a cross-trainer and a treadmill. So my question is 'Which one is better?'. Answers on a postcard to PO Box FPC....... ok, seriously, if you have a comment to make you know what to do...

Oink oink,

Kath

PS - ain't it pretty in County Clare?

1 Comments:

At 1/3/06 21:32, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Well...you already know my bias, which is to lay on the layers and run outside.

However...I used a Nordic-Trac for a period of my life, and absolutely loved it. It is a very intense little contraption, but it works the whole body--both upper and lower. There's just one little catch. It takes a bit of skill and coordination to use it. You'll eventually get the hang of it--I did after the second work-out--but you maiden voyage might feel a bit frustrating.

If you do go the Nordic-Trac route, then I'd recommend that you buy the Nordic-Trac brand...not one of the many knock-offs.

That said, I've used treadmills also...and they'll give you a fine workout, too. But if I were in the market, I'd go Nordic-Trac.

Baa baa...
Sal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home