Blah blah blah

The mindless ramblings of a woman on the edge..... of something.....

Friday, November 18, 2005

Fatty Piggy a Milano!

So, perhaps you were wondering how my detour through Milan resulted – more specifically my calorie consumption.

I have one word for you…… DISASTER!!!

Italian food is glorious, delicious and fantastic.

On Monday night I was taken for a meal (Grazie, Roberto) that can only be described as sumptuous – or maybe gluttonous. Italians don’t generally go for dinner any earlier than 9pm so I was already on a losing streak. How to work off a 5 course meal at 12pm?? Okay, so there are probably plenty of ways, but I was on a business trip and my ‘exercise’ was safely tucked up in bed in Ireland.

The starter consisted of a Mediterranean buffet – all sorts of peppers, olives, artichoke hearts, cheeses, cured hams and seafood marinating in separate dishes of olive oil with garlic and various spices or balsamic vinegar. I gave up on counting Points after my second visit to the table.

For what I originally believed to be my main course, only to later discover was yet another ‘starter’, I had a dish called Papparadelle Porcini. It is fresh wide, flat strips of pasta served with a creamy mushroom sauce. Delectable!

When the waiter asked what I wanted for my ‘main course’ I, with much surprise, restated my desire for the Papparadelle Porcini. He clarified that this was not my main course but the pasta course. I declined his invitation to make a complete fatty piggy of myself and have a 12oz steak. Roberto did indulge in the steak, which looked absolutely mouth-watering.

During the evening we drank two bottles of a dark and fruity red wine. which served as an excellent accompaniment. We completed the meal with grappa (aids digestion – trust me!), as dessert, thank God, was declined by all. I can only refuse dessert if no one else is having one – otherwise I tend to join in.

The following days eating was no less calorific (a magnificent pizza and pasta combo washed down with a frothy cappuccino) and I barely managed to roll myself on to the airplane later that night.

I have gone back into ‘healthy eating’ mode today – have some compensating to do with my Points - but am looking forward to my next visit to Italy!

Oink oink
Kath

3 Comments:

At 18/11/05 17:39, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

More irony! This blog is supposed to a dieters' support and comiseration sanctuary. Yet, if I may be so bold, you not only provide graphic photos...but you also broadside us with the following dangerous adjectives:

- Sumptuous!
- Delectable!
- Glorious!
- Delicious!
- Fantastic!
- Creamy!
- Mouth-watering!
- Dark and fruity!
- A magnificent pizza and pasta combo!

To this, I want to say one thing: Good job!

There's no shame in gluttony. Fatty piggies have repeatedly left their marks on history and, in turn, have made the world a better place.

Buddha was a fatty piggy, and he continues to be a spiritual force for millions. Benjamin Franklin was a fatty piggy, and he was one of the most important founding fathers of the US. Winston Churchill was a fatty piggy, and he admirably guided his nation through a very difficult and dangerous wartime period.

And if that were not enough, then ask yourself one question: How will Carmen Elektra be remembered fifty years from now?

Viva Roberto (no toothpick himself)!

Sal (tipping the scales at 24 stone)

 
At 18/11/05 18:54, Blogger Kath said...

Thanks, Amigo!
Mind you I'd say you're barely tipping the scales at 9 stone. You jog for goodness sake. Your life revolves around carbs, whereas carbs revolve around my midsection... ha ha ha!
Have a scrummy weekend.

 
At 19/11/05 11:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the solution....give up your job, go back to Uni and that way...you can survive on eating soup (do you eat or drink soup) and drinking cheap coffee (budgetary constraints)...too funny, nice blog BTW

clío

 

Post a Comment

<< Home